Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The First day of Ramadan,its true meaning and glimpses of breaking the fast

The call for prayer signals the end of the fast 
I was in Grade 8 and had just finished playing a basketball match. We won and there was a feeling of great jubilation with all the team members looking forward to the High tea that was laid out in the school hall.Like all the girls, I too wanted to tuck in but before that, I wanted to have a drink of water. Lots and lots of water!

Making a beeline for the water coolers, I found a long line of girls already there, but my turn came eventually and I drank to my fill. Walking towards the hall, I realized that our team captain Azra hadn't drunk water. When I told her to hurry or we would be the last ones in, she answered, 'You carry on, I wont be joining all of you" 

'Why?' I asked.

"I'm fasting- this is our Ramzan fast and I will keeping it for this whole month", she replied.

I was amazed- we had all just played a long and tough match and  I'm sure that  she was as hungry and thirsty as all the rest of us, but she didn't even have a sip of water! And that was how I had my first lesson of what the Holy month of 'Ramzan' or Ramadan means to a Muslim.A lesson which  surprised as well as humbled me because it taught me a lesson in willpower, restraint  and sacrifice and one which has stayed with me till this day.

Ramadan is the 9th month of the Islamic calendar. The term Ramadan literally means 'scorching' in Arabic. It was established as a Holy Month for Muslims after the Quran was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad in 610 CE on the occasion known as Laylat al-Qadr, frequently translated as "the Night of Power.
Observance of Ramadan is mandated in the Quran, Surah 2, Ayah 185 
Beauty with a very deep meaning

During the month of Ramadan, most Muslims fast from dawn to sunset with no food or water. Before sunrise many Muslims have the ‘Suhur’ or predawn meal. At sunset families and friends gather for ‘Iftar’ which is the meal eaten by Muslims to break the fast. Many Muslims begin the meal by eating dates as the Prophet used to do.This ritual fast is one of the five pillars of Islam, and requires that individuals abstain from eating, drinking, smoking and sexual intercourse.In general, the practices of Ramadan are meant to purify oneself from thoughts and deeds which are counter to Islam. By removing material desires, one is able to focus fully on devotion and service to God. Many Muslims go beyond the physical ritual of fasting and attempt to purge themselves of impure thoughts and motivations such as anger, cursing, and greed. Charity is an important part of Ramadan. The fast emphasizes self-sacrifice and using the experience of hunger to grow in empathy with the hungry. During Ramadan, Muslim communities work together to raise money for the poor, donate clothes and food, and hold 'Iftar' dinners for the less fortunate.

A couple of years ago one evening  I happened to be in Matrah, a very old part of Muscat, with a group of photo enthusiasts for a Photo Walk. It was the first day of Ramadan and the air was thick with a feeling of suppressed excitement.The fast was coming to a close and the roadside vendors had already started preparing the snacks that would be eaten 
by all once the fast was over.

The aroma was exquisite and looking around I could see that there was a whole range of sweet as well as savory delicacies.It was a memorable moment in time and I found myself keenly anticipating the call for prayer which would signal the end of that day's fast.

Walking around, I kept clicking and time passed. Anticipation mounted higher..    

Then higher...



Then we all heard it, the call for prayer...And all the fasting men went into the mosque to pray.









Stepping out, they settled down to their first meal in many,many  hours, dates followed by some light snacks. I'm happy I manged to click this particular shot without intruding into that very personal moment.Meal over, they dispersed, it was time to head back home and join their families.

It had been a long day for all of them. The first 'Roza' was over and tomorrow would be another day. As for me,  it was a truly beautiful moment in time...

No comments:

Post a Comment