Search This Blog

Monday, July 15, 2013

A day in the life of Pastry Chef Mohammed Kessrwani of Paul, Muscat


A few days ago, I wrote my first blog post on Paul, Muscat.It was titled 'Baking Bread The Paul Way' and I'm happy to know that you have enjoyed reading it. Here is my second post, 'A day in the life of Pastry Chef Mohammed Kessrwani of Paul, Muscat' and hope you enjoy reading this one as well.
A  quick background on Paul-Paul is a French chain of bakeries and café restaurants established in 1889 in the city of Croix, in Northern France by Charlemagne Mayot. Today, there are over 500 franchised Paul bakery/café restaurants in many countries worldwide, viz.France, Spain, Belgium, United Kingdom,  Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Japan, Taiwan, Jordan, China Egypt and the USA. This year Paul came to Muscat in Oman and has rapidly proved to be a very welcome addition to the range of restaurants already present here.

A glimpse of my two day stint observing and photographing the

operations at Paul Muscat


 A ‘regular’ Paul specializes in serving French products and the range of items  available include pastries, cakes, croissants, sandwiches, soups, quiches, tarts, crepes, eggs, and over 140 types of bread. In some countries, some restaurants also serve  tea, wine, beer, mineral water, soft drinks and coffee based drinks.


Chef Mohammed Kessrwani is all smiles

 Having a sweet tooth and being fond of baking myself, I'd specially asked to meet the Pastry Chef and that was how I found myself in the kitchens of Paul Muscat at 0730 hours and when I entered, was surprised to see Chef Mohammed Kessrwani already hard at work! Welcoming me and making sure I was wearing a cap to cover my hair, he positioned me where I could watch him clearly and had no objections to being photographed at his work station. My first impression was,'Gosh he looks so young!" 

And that was proved to be right when I learnt that he was 29 and had been working in Pastry for the last 14 years! 

Chef Mohammed Kessrwani has just finished the tarts


And the mouthwatering array of eclairs
As he tells it, "I come from a family which has been involved with pastry for some time now.My brother in law and some close relatives work in pastry in Lebanon and as a child there was nothing I loved to do more than watching them at work. It was the look of what they painstakingly crafted, but even more than that, the wonderful smells that accompanied what they did, that had me hooked to it. And at the very first chance I got, I joined as an apprentice at one of the local bakeries in my hometown in and eventually got a lucky break at Paul in Lebanon.Since then I have worked at Paul Dubai, trained as a Chocolatier, then worked as one in Dubai and am now working at Paul Muscat ever since it opened in Feb."

Looking around me as I watched him totally in command of what he did as the Pastry Chef of a very large restaurant such as this one, I could clearly see that he has come a  very long way since he was 14, and now has the overall responsibility of preparing and stocking the entire range of pastry and cakes for the day. 

Entering the kitchens for a shift that  runs from 4 am to 12 noon, he manages the entire range and how! When I entered the kitchen, he was putting the finishing touches to the cheesecakes and they were soon in the refrigerated trays in the cabinet just behind, ready for the shop assistants and waitresses to take out and slice as required by the customers.  

Making sure that all is in shape.

Fine-tuning and layering, oh so neatly!

Adding the cheesecake topping as well as the fruit

That was followed by the individual tarts, chocolate, as well as vanilla and watching him do that was  an extremely fascinating experience. For one, he was so very neat and efficient. For another, he was so quick- twenty minutes and a large tray of tarts was ready with the glaze as well as the fruit topping superbly arranged !

See the neat surface? 
All ready for service , plating and delighted customers!
A closer look:)
I decided to take a short break and head out towards the display and sale area- it was about 10 am by now and the restaurant was already buzzing with customers- coffee and cakes being the main item on the menu at almost every table that I could see. And this is what it looked like from the other side- absolutely delightful.. 

The view from the other side

There is a lot more that I learnt from Chef Mohammed and was invited by him the next day as well when I had the privilege of an exclusive demo of a  delightful 'Millefoit', but will tell you that story another day.

I'm closing for today with my take on Chef Mohammed that day  and  I left with his  words ringing in my ears.

"I passionately love working with pastry.I don't care how tired I may be for as long as I'm working, I'm happy. Its when I go back and have nothing much to do, that I start feeling the aches  and a sense of emptiness. Can't wait to get back to work the next day!"

4 comments:

  1. A very delicious post, Sunaina. I appreciate your dedicated research on the subjects you write. And of course, pics are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love food and travel- will walk/drive/fly anywhere to write about them Ravish:)

      Many thanks- appreciate the comment!

      Delete
  2. Very very interesting post Sunaina, the chef is par excellence at his work and that too at this young age, It all matters if you are passionate about your job and love it too. Your clicks and information provided is crisp and very informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I had a really great two days at Paul Shweta!. Learnt great deal and came to admire the team behind the success story. Most of all, the young Pastry Chef Mohammed Kessrwani..

      Delete