Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A Food Tale With a Twist- From Bastar in Chhattisgarh

Writing a piece in 'Food For Thought 'is a really great way for me to go down memory lane and recall some interesting snippets as I go through the journey called 'Life'. You might recall that in my last post, I have touched upon my magical trip to the heart of India, enigmatic Chhattisgarh  and how I find myself changed for the better in so many ways.

A range of food is always one of the most interesting possibilities of any trip and on the 4th day of our journey into the Bastar region in Chhattisgarh, we had a chance to sample of the most intriguing as well as one of the most delicious meals I've ever eaten!



Daal, Chawal and Aamat- Simple and delicious 
The day panned out in surprising ways. Our gracious hosts at the Chhattisgarh Tourism Board had engaged the services of the legendary Mr Abesh Ali, arguably the most well known guide in the region and one who can fluently speak the local language. Best of all, he has these enviable connections throughout the region and to our delight we were informed that we would have an opportunity to spend an afternoon in a local household of the 'Dhurwa' tribe. What sounded even better was the fact that we would have an opportunity to sample a local meal in their home. 

Mr Abesh Ali tells us fascinating tales
That afternoon will remain one of my most memorable ones and as I progress you will soon learn why.For one, we had this very generous offer from our host family to settle down and watch the meal being cooked. But even before that, we were all walked deep into the jungle  by the head of the family to hunt red ants. Sadly, it was a different matter that on that particular day, there weren't too many ants to be found but we will come to more of that later. 
The view from where I sat 
The sunny afternoon soon turned into a cloudy one and some of us (including me )decided to explore the surrounding area, but not before getting a clear fix on what the lady was cooking.
Starting with cleaning the rice 
I soon learnt that we would be eating 'daal', ( pulses) 'aamat' (vegetables ) and 'chawal' (rice) which was served in 'Doni’s' (bowls made from leaves). The cooking process was a revelation and we saw the whole family 'hands on' during the process. While the older lady was clearly the head chef, one of the younger women in the family cleaned the rice, while another one chopped the vegetables, and yet another person made the bowls in which we ate our meal.


All smiles as we wait-With Parnashree Devi

Cooking that simple meal over a wood fire took over an hour and then we were invited to sit down.Looking around, we could see the sky darkening and knew that it was only a matter of time before the rain came.  Our eager anticipation soon ended as that fragrant and freshly cooked meal was served .
Served with a lot of love

This was what my meal looked like.But hey- No spoons?



Now -that was an unforeseen dilemma.Furious thoughts ran through my head.Do I eat it or do I stay hungry?

 Finally,the rumbling sounds in my tummy clearly showed me the way ahead.I would eat my meal and in the same way as my travel companions, who were clearly relishing their lunch.

Tentatively, at first and then with  more confidence as I got the hang of it, I ate my meal with my hands.

For the very first time in my life.
And loved it!

And then came the clouds, followed by sheets of rain

So we moved inside the covered area and spotted this


The door to the little house really intrigued me




Looking inside, I was amazed- Neat, clean and a whole lot of books


Soon after the meal,  the lady and her son headed back to the cooking area.We followed as well and learnt that they were now making  'Mahua' (the local alcohol) which they love to substitute for water. Incidentally, we too had a taste of it and while I didn't particularly relish it I was encouragingly informed by most people around me that it really was an acquired taste and with time, I might just....
Making the 'Mohua'

I did say that this was a Food Tale with a twist. And here it comes.

Just as we were leaving, one of our team members asked how I had liked the meal.

My prompt response- 'I loved it!'

'Was it because of the ants? she continued.

'What ants'?

'The ones in the 'aamat'? I really think that's exactly why the vegetable curry tasted so good"

Then looking at my pale face she gently enquired.

"You didn't realise it"?

'No.' 

And I was speechless.

But only for a while.

Sanity soon re-asserted itself."Do in Rome as Romans Do"  I sternly told myself. And it was indisputable- I had really enjoyed that meal.


A Painter's delight- the fascinating landscape

Some time later, we left that sweet little village and drove on to the next adventure.And that journey was truly a painter's delight.






No comments:

Post a Comment