Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pre Ramadan musings

Beautiful Ramadan nights
It was a very hot summer in Meerut and I was studying in Sophia convent. I must have been in class 8 and fairly interested in playing basketball at the time. We played matches with the neigbouring schools every now and then and if we won, we were on top of the world. If we didn't, we would try harder. 

Our captain was a girl called Azra and on a day after we had just played a particularly strenuous match and won it, we headed to the school water coolers to gulp down some badly needed elixir of life. I remember waiting for my turn and when I got to that cooler, I just couldn't get enough of the water. When I finished, I looked around- most of the girls had moved away and were talking in small groups. 

All except one- Azra was standing away from the coolers. I couldn't help myself and asked, 

'Aren't you thirsty'? 

"I'm fasting" she replied.

I was confused-I  really didn't know what she was referring to. So I persisted.

'What kind of a fast is this Bushra?"

"This is Ramzan and I'm keeping a Roza" she explained.  

And that is how I first understood the huge significance of what a Roza meant to a devout Muslim. She had played a whole match and she wouldn't drink a drop of water.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


It's that time of the year again, a time when there are just a few days left for the holy month of Ramadan to begin


During these four weeks, every Muslim is supposed to fast from  dawn to dusk (with the clear exception of expecting mothers, or those who are physically unwell.) 

In fact, ever since I came to live here in the Gulf over two decades ago, this is something that has always fascinated and intrigued me. Might I add, coupled with a certain degree of admiration.To to me a fast without even a drop of water through the day, even for one day, is nothing short of miraculous, since I'm highly dependent on numerous cups of tea and coffee to keep me going through the day.
This is exactly where the discipline and structure of what Islam has to offer to the devout comes in. That particular feeling that the 'Rozas' are being undertaken for a specific purpose, that of the upliftment and cleansing of the body as well as of the soul. Added to which, are the donations that people choose to make to the needy.

While the day is quieter and more solemn, it is the evenings during Ramadan that are really worth their weight in gold. With the shops, restaurants and malls thronging with people who have successfully managed one day of their fast and have the privilege of being able to eat the well deserved evening meal as well as to undertake their preparations for the next day's fast.
Truly a time for fasting and reflection as well as to make the most of what commercial businesses have to offer in terms of schemes, benefits and deals, I'm really looking forward to yet another Ramadan in Muscat.



During this period I will share some special recipes and information about events from some of the leading hotels and restaurants in Oman, so look out for some interesting posts in the days ahead.




Here's wishing all of you Ramadan Kareem in advance.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment