Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Les Parisiennes, a delightful Store cum French Cafe in Shahpur Jat, New Delhi

Rediscovering Delhi over the last three months has a very special charm for me and watching the seasons change from spring when we arrived here to a very hot summer and the pre monsoon showers currently have their own unique highlights.

So on days which are more pleasant than the others, I definitely take time out and head towards those places and markets of Delhi which I haven't really had the opportunity of having discovered earlier. It was exactly one such day yesterday when I decided to head towards Shahapur Jat in South Delhi and spend a morning there checking out the unique facets of that very lively and happening village. 

Located amidst the ruins of Siri, the second city of Delhi (14th century), Shahpur Jat village is already now referred to as ‘the other village’, the first such being the Hauz Khaz village.At the heart of this village is the 'Fashion Street' where glitzy boutiques rub shoulders with fancy shoe shops and a couple of interesting food joints. The reasons are not really diffucult to understand- Low rents, easy availability of artisans, skilled labour, and friendly locals have made this a hip and happening hub.

Having walked through the area for over an hour and after checking out a few of the jewellery  boutiques as well as some designer stores, I was in desperate need of my mid morning coffee. Asking a few people,  I made my way to a small 'haveli'. Couldn't see anyone there, the door was ajar, so I walked right in and felt almost like Alice in Wonderland. You see nothing and no one had prepared me for what I would find, so the fun was doubled , In fact, when I learnt that the coffee shop inside was also a functional restaurant, I can honestly say that my fun was tripled!



Les Parisiennes- delightful French chic now in Delhi


'Les Parisiennes' is a unique concept store offering carefully selected womenswear, menswear, a lovely children corner, home accessories and its very own French Café.A few questions later, I learnt that Les Parisiennes opened in 2012.The owners Catherine Barbier Prakash & Lucie Salaun had conceptualised this store so that they could transport their customers to the place they call home- Paris. Looking around,  I could see a range of dresses, tops, bags, accessories and French vintage scarves.Based on the huge response they got, it was decided to add another dimension-which is how it expanded into a café cum  home-décor store.



La Parisienne with its simple and elegant exteriors 

The décor of the store is unique and very attractive-With exposed bricks painted in beautiful white and similar notes echoed on the ceiling and furniture, it can't help but charm the first time visitor. They also stock and sell a range of pretty black and white decorations, mirrors, floral patterns, lamps, quilts, cushions, vintage-inspired tins and containers, beautiful crockery furniture and lamps. 




One look and I was charmed

Going in further, I came upon the half a dozen tables laid out beautifully. There was a piano in one corner and the day's menu with some beautiful white flowers in another. The aroma of good baking was unmistakable and there were 4 men already at work, Welcoming me, one of them asked me if I would like something gto drink and I immediately chose a cold coffee. It was all so relaxed and I was the only person in the store at the time, making it feel really good! With French music playing in the background, I really couldn't have asked for a better way to indulge. 


Beauty - Wherever I looked


All set for coffee and madelines

With simple French food like quiches, salads, soups and cakes to choose from, topped by coffee, teas and juices its a win win formula. 


Ready for baking- I could smell this delicious tart as I sipped my coffee

Add to that, a delicious chicken bake

Looking around and loving it


The Day's Menu


Fresh and Orange

Summer coolers- with my delicious coffee

The classic French Cafe shot



Look up at the delightful ceiling


On my way out

Coffee over and revitalized, I stepped out, albeit reluctantly.

There was more of Shahpur Jat to explore with many more stories to discover.


But that's another story

For another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment